No loss of Your No Claims Discount
if you are hit by an uninsured driver

Protecting your insurance premiums, saving you money

UK accident call centre open 24/7

There when you need us

Giving you control
over your insurance

Helping you save time

Your car insurance documents

available 24/7

Frequently Asked Car Insurance Questions

  • QuoteOpen all

  • What is an excess?

    An excess is the amount you must pay in the event of any claim, regardless of who is to blame for an incident. It varies depending on the car that is covered, the age and experience of the drivers on your policy.

  • Can I pay for a voluntary excess?

    Yes, if you have Comprehensive cover you may get a discount on the premium if you agree to pay towards the cost of any claim for loss of or damage to your vehicle. This will apply in addition to any compulsory policy excesses.

  • Is immediate cover available?

    Yes. Immediate cover is available both via the phone and the internet.

  • Do I have to tell you about my convictions?

    You must advise us of any motoring or non-motoring convictions, including pending convictions when taking out a policy with Octagon. You must also advise us immediately of any new convictions once you have taken the policy out with Octagon.

    Failure to disclose any material information or inaccuracies in the information given could invalidate your insurance cover and mean that part or all of your claim may not be paid.

  • Can you provide cover for my caravan as well as my car?

    If your car is covered by us, there is no cover for loss of or damage to any trailer, caravan or vehicle you may tow. If you require cover for the caravan itself, we would suggest you contact a caravan club who will be able to provide comprehensive cover.

  • What modifications do you cover?

    We will cover your car if you have any standard options, fitted by the manufacturer (or their approved garage) at the time of first purchase, apart from any form of performance enhancement.

    Examples of modifications that we will also cover are:
    – Air Conditioning
    – Alloy wheels
    – Satellite Navigation (permanently fitted)
    – Sunroofs
    – Tow Bars
    – Roof Racks
    – Professionally fitted conversions to LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas)

    Examples of modifications that we will not cover are:
    – Bodywork changes (Air dams, side skirts/sills)
    – Darkened windscreens or driver & passenger windows
    – Decorative internal or external neon lights
    – Exhaust system changes
    – Engine alterations
    – Internal trim (Seats, rally harness, etc.)
    – Performance Enhancement of any kind (e.g. chipped engine)
    – Roll bars or roll cages
    – Spoilers/aerofoils
    – Suspension changes
    – Induction kits

  • Does an Octagon Insurance Policy cover me for driving my car as part of any voluntary work, and does this include voluntary driving as a Community First Responder?

    Yes, an Octagon Insurance policy will cover voluntary driving for no additional premium. You do not need Business Use provided that any payment for this driving does not exceed the HMRC
    mileage rates in force at the time. Subject to this, there is no requirement to notify us of this driving, as long as the annual mileage declared by you covers mileage for voluntary purposes. On the understanding that a community first responder answers calls under normal road conditions, and does not have the authority to drive under emergency conditions, an Octagon Insurance policy will cover this voluntary driving. We are also happy for medical equipment and oxygen to be carried in the insured vehicle in connection with this voluntary work.

  • I am thinking about buying a vehicle that has been imported from outside Europe. Would you be able to provide cover?

    We are unable to offer cover for any van imported to the UK by someone other than the original manufacturer or its approved dealership network. We only offer cover for vans built to UK specifications and manufactured specifically for use in the UK. We are therefore unable to offer cover for vehicles commonly referred to as Grey Imports, which are typically imported from Japan or America as used vehicles.

  • PaymentOpen all

  • How can I pay for my insurance?

    Annual payment:
    You can pay for your insurance in full via a debit or credit card.

    By Direct Debit:
    You can choose to pay monthly by Direct Debit credit agreement through our third party premium finance provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

  • Can I pay for insurance using someone else’s card?

    Yes, you can use someone else’s card to pay your insurance premium, but you’ll need to get their permission first. If you’re speaking to Octagon Customer Services, we will need to gain permission from the cardholder before we can go ahead.

  • No claims discountOpen all

  • What is a No Claims Discount?

    For every year of claim free driving, each policyholder will earn a discount towards the cost of their renewal (to a maximum of 9 years).

  • Do I need to send Octagon proof of my No Claims Discount (NCD) entitlement?

    Yes, you need to send this to us within 14 days of taking out a policy in order to validate your car insurance.

    The car insurance renewal notice received from your previous motor insurer during the last 12 months will show the number of years of No Claims Discount
    (NCD) you have earned.

    Your insurer will be unable to authorise work on any car insurance claim you may make until we receive No Claims Discount proof. We will cancel your car insurance policy if you do not provide proof of No Claims Discount. For more information about No Claims Discount click here.

    Please be aware we check 100% of the No Claims Discount proof documents we receive. For the benefit of all customers, if a fake or falsified NCD is supplied to your insurer they may notify the Police and alert other insurers in order to assist with the prevention and detection of fraud.

  • What is a protected No Claims Discount (NCD)?

    In the event of a claim, if your insurer cannot recover their outlay from the person responsible, or you cannot recover your excess, your no claims discount is normally reduced at the next renewal. Discount protection allows up to two non-recoverable claims in a three-year period without reducing your no claims discount.

    Please note that you will not accrue any further years NCD should you have a claim and you have protected NCD in place.

  • Do the years I’ve spent driving a company car count towards my No Claims Discount?

    If you have previously driven a company car, not a pool car, including business and pleasure use, our underwriters may be able to offer you a NCD. You must have surrendered the company car within the last year, be claim free and able to supply a letter from your employer to confirm this information.

  • If I have maximum no claims discount and I buy a second car can I add my no claim discount to both cars?

    No. Your no claim discount (NCD) can be applied on one policy only.

  • If my No Claims Discount (NCD) has been earned in another country, is it still acceptable?

    Our underwriters only accept UK discount earned on a private car policy.

    If you are a member of the Armed Forces, please see click here Click here to read chapter 4.

  • My policyOpen all

  • What if my car or circumstances change?

    You should tell us of any changes to your circumstances, otherwise your policy could be invalid. You need to inform your insurer via us of any changes that could impact on your insurance. For example, you should immediately inform us of a change of address or any convictions received (motoring or non-motoring related). Please notify us in advance if you wish to change drivers on your policy. The policy wording gives more details of the changes that should be notified to us.

    Just give us a call on 0344 561 4615 and we will advise you if the changes affect your insurance cover or payments. If you are unsure of the relevance of such changes, you must call us and ask.

  • Am I insured to drive someone else’s car?

    If you are the policyholder and 25 or over, have Comprehensive cover and a full driving licence, then you may be entitled to Third Party Cover when driving someone else’s car. Please refer to your current Certificate of Motor Insurance, which tells you if you have this cover. Alternatively, you can call our Customer Services Department on 0344 561 4615.

  • If I leave my keys in the car am I covered on my car insurance?

    No. You should take all reasonable steps to ensure that your car is locked and secure to prevent theft. Failure to do so could invalidate any claim you have.

  • Are my children’s seats covered in the event of an accident?

    If you have comprehensive cover and you have children’s car seats fitted, if your car is involved in an accident or damaged as a result of fire or theft, your insurer will pay up to £250 (after the deduction of any excess) towards the cost of replacing them.

  • How can I cancel my car insurance policy?

    For full details about how you may cancel your car insurance, please review your Car policy documents.

  • My OctagonOpen all

  • Where can I view the policy documents?

    You can view the policy documents applicable to your purchase on the Car Policy Documents page.

  • How do I renew my policy?

    We’ll send you a reminder before your current policy expires. This will explain what you need to do to renew your car insurance with Octagon for another year. If you have purchased your policy using our recommended payment plan provider, we’ll renew your cover automatically, unless you tell us not to.

    If you don’t receive a reminder, or you need to change your policy before you renew it, call our renewals team on 0344 561 4605.

    Mon -Thurs 9am – 7pm Fri 9am – 6pm Sat 9am – 4pm

  • ClaimsOpen all

  • How do I make a claim?

    If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident or have your car stolen, vandalised or damaged in any way, you can report a claim on 0344 815 4975. You will be provided with the support you need, details of the repairer nearest to you and all the steps involved.

    If you wish to make a claim in respect of a damaged windscreen please call the Glass Helpline on 0800 011 3685.

  • Can I claim on my car insurance policy if my vehicle is hit by an uninsured driver?

    Yes, if you have comprehensive cover.

    How will the claim affect your No Claims Discount (NCD)?

    – If the uninsured driver is identified at the scene or later traced your insurer will not reduce your NCD even though they are unable to recover their costs from the driver.

    – If they cannot identify the uninsured driver then your NCD will be affected.

    – If you have Third Party Fire or Theft cover, you are not insured for damage to your car (other than due to fire or theft). You insurer will therefore not repair your car in this instance.

  • Other QuestionsOpen all

  • Are my details secure over the internet?

    We use industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) 128 bit encryption technology to keep your personal information as secure as possible.

  • If I’m asked for additional documentation proof should I send?

    Octagon Insurance Services and its insurer partners from time to time, may request additional documentation from customers. You do not need to supply original documents, photocopies are sufficient. Please note that you must provide recent documents that are dated within the last 3 months. Documents that are accepted are:

    – Council Tax Bill/Statement
    – Utility Bill
    – Tenancy Agreement
    – Pay slip (address included)
    – Driving Licence – Photocard for all drivers
    – Vehicle Registration Document (V5)
    – Copy of your passport plus one Utility Bill

    If you cannot provide the above, please contact Customer Services who will be happy to assist you.

  • How can I check that my Octagon Insurance policy showing on the Motor Insurance Bureau?

    You can visit the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau) and enter your vehicle registration This is a free service. It can take up to 7 working days for your vehicle to appear on the database if you have recently changed insurers or made a change to your policy.

  • Does my insurer offer consideration to Armed Forces in line with the Association of British Insurers’ guidelines?

    Current Octagon policies
    If the policyholder is to be stationed overseas, and would therefore have to cancel their policy mid-term, no cancellation fee will be charged upon proof of the posting abroad.

    New business policies
    No Claims Discount will be honoured for three years from the date the last UK insurance policy was cancelled, upon receipt of acceptable proof that the policyholder was stationed outside of the UK. Consideration will also be given if the No Claim Discount was earned by the policyholder while stationed abroad, from a non UK Insurer, provided that the No Claim Discount proof is
    submitted in writing, in English or with a verified English translation.

    All other policy terms and conditions remain the same.

Customer Services 0344 561 4615

Back to top

One Quote Direct Insurance Services Limited trading as Octagon Insurance Services is an appointed representative of Europa Group Limited and acts as a credit broker and not a lender in relation to premium finance contracts. Registered as a limited company in England and Wales No. 5479983. Europa Group Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Services Register No. 309794. Registered office: Europa House, Midland Way, Thornbury, Bristol, BS35 2JX.

LiveZilla Live Chat Software

Customers with a policy that started on or before 31st December 2016 can continue to use this website as usual.
Customers with a policy that renewed on or after 1st January 2017 – the details on this website will not be relevant to your policy, please see your renewal pack for further information.

By continuing to use the Octagon website, you consent to our use of cookies. Read our Cookie Policy to learn more.