Advice: How to Park a Car Perfectly
The fact that the driver is “skillful” is mainly indicated by proper parking, especially in the city. Parking rules are taught in driving schools, it is compulsory for training, however, many novice drivers still fear of it.
Today in Europe it is considered normal when cars touch each other with a bumper, this is called contact parking. With our mentality, this is simply impossible to imagine, and therefore it is important to master those techniques that will help you learn how to park properly.
How to park in a car?
To completely overcome fear of parking, you need patience, driving experience and knowledge of some techniques. One of these tricks is to feel the dimensions of your car.
Hw to develop a car feeling
In order to properly feel the dimensions of your car, you can undergo training on a special platform where there are markings and various pegs that will simulate neighboring cars.
The ability to feel the car dimensions does not come immediately but after a certain time, that is, you need a driving experience. But after such training, you will still feel more confident when parking, in addition, you should also remember about the features of a particular model, about the parameters, about the visibility range of mirrors. Each model has such parameters.
In any case, training with racks and pegs will not be superfluous. Also, it will help to save your money in the future, because a collision with a training cone is not a collision with the bumpers of someone else’s car. By practicing the race forward and reverse to the marked area, you can avoid future force majeure.
How to park in reverse
Parking in reverse sounds scary, but it’s not so difficult. The main guarantee of success is the correct distribution of attention. In order to fully control the situation, while reversing, you need to navigate not only through the mirrors, but also by turning the head. Since it is impossible to see what is happening below the level of mirrors, and the viewing sector is significantly increased. Therefore, in order to better maneuver and avoid obstacles, you should not only focus on the mirrors, but also watch everything yourself.
- To get started, line up with the car in front of the steam forging place that you have chosen. The distance between that cae and yours should be at least 50 cm, but not more than 1 meter.
- Imagine the turning zone, it is installed on the right rear wheel. Mentally draw a line to the glass up from it, and remember this place. It is this “label” that will be for you a unique indicator of a safe turn. The reference point can be anything, for example a pillar.
- Start backing up until the safe turning line aligns with the end of the car parked on the right.
- Next, turn the steering wheel to the right and continue to move backwards until you notice the right front edge of the car parked at the rear. As soon as this happens, stop.
- Continue backing up with the wheels straight ahead. Stop as soon as the rear of the car parked in front is visible.
- Then, turn the steering wheel to the left to the end, continue driving backwards and set the car parallel to the curb.
- It remains only to turn the car, and stop between the rear and front car at an equal distance, so that later it would be easy to leave.
Direct or linear parking
The simplest type of parking is linear or direct. This is when the car is placed along the object (border, fence and so on) in a straight line. With this parking, try not to get “tight” with a nearby car, as further driving can be problematic. Direct forward parking can only be done when there is enough room for maneuver. If the space is limited by standing cars, you will have to park in reverse. So, you will definitely fit into a free space.
Try to avoid those places where there is a risk of damage to the car. If the car is parked on a lift, turn the wheels towards the road. If the car is parked on the descent, turn the wheels towards the curb. This is necessary so that the car does not slide down, for example, when the brakes fail.
Remember that the parking lot may have high parapets and low barriers that are not visible in the mirrors. They may interfere with open doors. Therefore, be sure to pay attention to them earlier, otherwise there is a risk of damage to the car.
Another popular view is parking is perpendicular. This is most often is done in forward gear. You should remember that when you park, the radius of the rear wheels decreases, and you seem to grind to the next car.
Often the trajectory is large, so not everyone can get into the place right away. To reduce the risk of scratching a nearby car, just before the maneuver, take your car in the opposite direction. This, the rear wheels will be taken to a large radius.
If you have a problem with driving, ask another driver to help you, or switch on the reverse gear and the emergency gang and start rolling out slowly, Do not forget to look over your right shoulder, so you will control a larger sector, but you should not forget about the front dimensions. If you are not completely sure that you can park, it is better to look for another place where the conditions are simpler.
When parking, the driver must fully control the situation. If you are parking in reverse, use both the head-wrap and the rear-view mirrors. Of course, the review increases when you turn your head, but it is difficult to notice what is below the glass level. The mirrors have a narrow view, but they allow more precise control of the obstacle, that is, the maneuverability of the car increases.
In addition, you should remember about the features of your car. All-wheel drive cars have the highest turning radius, while the rear-wheel drive cars have the minimal turning radius. To make it easier to master the parking skills, try to imagine the picture of how the front and rear axles of the car move and the trajectory of your movement.
5 more useful tips
- Ask for help. If you are still not sure or for some reason you can’t get into a parking space, then ask someone to help you (usually men are happy to help you);
- Park along the lines. Sometimes in the parking lot you will notice that people park in the middle, and not along the lines. Usually these are people who do not drive very confidently or do not know how to park their cars correctly. But often improper parking can cause accidents in the parking lot. If you parked the car without observing the markings in the parking lot, be sure to rearrange the car more evenly. Otherwise, some novice driver will not cope with parking and scratch your car;
- Park your car in a safe place. Any parking actually carries many dangers. Many people like to park a car under a tree in a shade. Remember that trees can stain and even damage cars. Therefore, try to choose an open area for parking;
- Car with a sticker. Try not to park near cars that have a warning sticker with an exclamation mark, which indicates that the driver has been driving for less than three years. Most often, newcomers hurt other cars not at the time of parking but at the time of departure;
- Do not be afraid to park. The more you park your car, the more experience you have.
As you can see, there’s nothing complicated in learning how to park your car properly.
Tags: driving, parking